[Rhodes22-list] Fiber-glassing in Winter?

Mark Whipple mark at whipplefamily.com
Sun Dec 10 13:19:54 EST 2023

I've done some epoxy and fiberglass work on a wooden kayak in my garage in
the winter. I had a space heater running as well as some heat lamps. Some
of the heat lamps were too close and ended up causing bubbles to appear
under the fiberglass. While that probably won't happen with the
centerboard, just know you're better off having them at a reasonable
distance. I'd say if the surface feels very warm after they've been on a
while, move them away.

As others have suggested, I don't think doing fiberglass work outside
during cold weather will work, even with some localized heat. While you can
also find epoxy that is designed for lower temps, I'm guessing you would
need ambient temperatures of 50 - 60 degrees. You'll want to get the piece
warm before you start and maintain the heat for a day or two at least.

Mark

Boston, MA

2000 R22 *When and If*