[Rhodes22-list] Water in the Cabin

jpd9668 jpd9668 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 17 11:55:26 EST 2023

Also  feel all along the underside of the CB cap flange.Joe Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S23 5G, an AT&T 5G smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: Reuben Mezrich <reuben.mezrich at gmail.com> Date: 12/17/23  5:44 AM  (GMT-05:00) To: The Rhodes 22 Email List <rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org> Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] Water in the Cabin Thank you Joe...I"ll try the coat hanger trick today (or as soon as thestorm we're having in Sarasota passes)--ReubenReuben Mezrichcell: 410-499-8922Pelican Cove in Sarasota and Back Bay, BostonOn Sat, Dec 16, 2023 at 2:25 PM jpd9668 <jpd9668 at gmail.com> wrote:> Those are good points. Be sure to check the two 1-1/4" hoses in the> lazzarette from the corner drains to the thru Hull openings in the transom.> You mentioned the CB gasket, which I believe is your primary culprit, given> the amount of water. You said the nuts you could reach seemed dry. Without> removing the companionway step, which includes the settee, its nearly> impossible to check. Take a coat hanger wire or dowel and fasten a folded> up paper towel and probe further back. It will soak up any water on top of> the gasket.  There's a good chance the gasket could be dry rotted unless> you know it's history.I find it hard to believe, unless you've had a> monsoon that you got that much water from topside.Joe DempseyTrojan 42> MYM/V VoyagerFormer Rhodes22Former Rhodes22Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S23> 5G, an AT&T 5G smartphone> -------- Original message --------From: Todd Tavares <> tavares0947 at gmail.com> Date: 12/15/23  11:13 AM  (GMT-05:00) To: The> Rhodes 22 Email List <rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org> Subject: Re:> [Rhodes22-list] Water in the Cabin Reuben,I  may just be echoing what> others have said.The lazarette is not sealed off from the cabin bilge by a> bulkhead on anyboat I have heard about. I think Stan commented once about> this last yearor so when I asked a question about it. What you may see when> you lookforward in the laz, under the cockpit, is the back of the poured> inexpanded flotation foam. It may or may not have been glassed or tabbed> downto the hull, but water will migrate down through the foam into the> cabin.The older and dryer the foam gets it seems, the faster water will get> tothe bilge.Some boats have some sort of pipe cut in half lengthwise and> laid againstthe hull under the foam, like hollow stringers, forming two> tunnels sowater runs directly from the laz to the bilge.But clogged seat> drains, and rain water flowing over the lip into the lazis the most likely> cause of such a large quantity of water in a short time,unless you find a> leak at the CB cap or at the cockpit aft drain thru-hullfitting.Some owners> have also noted the (garden) hose that connects the centerboardcap to the> cockpit gutter, through which the CB pennant runs is not alwaysconnected at> the top/gutter fitting. This would be a very slow leak.These are the first> places I would look.And if the seat drains are still the small ½" ID ones,> I'd suggestenlarging those fittings to 1" ID.I also made screens from white> plastic house gutter guards that fit intothe drain pockets. The enlarged> drains along with the screens haveeliminated water in the bilge even when> stored uncovered under an oak tree.Todd TOn Thu, Dec 14, 2023, 3:18 PM> Reuben Mezrich <reuben.mezrich at gmail.com>wrote:> This morning a friend> called and said my boat was sinking...When I got to> the boat there was> about a foot of water in the cabin (it was up to the> bottom of the> cushions) and the boat was hanging from its lines (it was a> very low> tide)...I borrowed a pump and got most of the water out...checked> the two> through hulls for the head and the one in the lazerette and no leak> seen.> inspected the top of the centerboard trunk and no evidence of a leak> at> any of the visible screws on top (hard to see the two at the> furthest> aft). There still appears to be a slow leak. There was also water> in the> lazerette but the lazerette seems to be separate from the rest of> the boat> and no idea how the water got there...There hasn't been much rain>> lately..boat was dry on Monday, which was the last time I checked it...>> We're having some storms here in Sarasota and the TowBoatUS guy says we>> really can't tow it till Tuesday>> Any thoughts on where else to look for> leaks. I haven't put any holes in> the boat..haven't gone aground> Its a> puzzle>> --> Reuben Mezrich> cell: 410-499-8922> Pelican Cove in Sarasota> and Back Bay, Boston>>