[Rhodes22-list] Water in the Cabin

jpd9668 jpd9668 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 17 12:11:47 EST 2023

With all the rain your now getting or about to get (east coast) water into the cockpit will overwhelm the drainage if all drain holes are not cleared/enlarged. Also water will overflow into the lazarrette underneath the hatch.  It's probably too late now, but I followed a suggestion of a Rhodie on the List and installed weatherstripping around the lazarette opening to seal the gap between the opening and the hatch cover. I used a soft(not foam) rubber stick-on w/s from my local hardware store.Also, this is a good opportunity to determine up or down. If the cabin doesn't flood after this storm, you'll know it's coming from "down"!Joe DempseyTrojan 42 MYM/V VoyagerSent via the Samsung Galaxy S23 5G, an AT&T 5G smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: Scott Andrews via Rhodes22-list <rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org> Date: 12/17/23  8:45 AM  (GMT-05:00) To: The Rhodes 22 Email List <rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org> Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] Water in the Cabin I just bailed a ton of rain water. Mostly in the laz but some made it into the cabin. Got the boat covered just in time for today’s coastal storm.Scott & Rebecca sv Pantailaimon Sent from my iPhone> On Dec 16, 2023, at 11:54 PM, Chris Geankoplis <chrisgeankoplis at gmail.com> wrote:> > Hey Reuben,> What Patrick says. Were your batteries OK?  Ponce dry and then paper towel> dry the bilge then lay out some TP squares and check every hour or so.  I> know easier said than done as you guys have a lot of rain right now. If> your seat  drains get plugged from those overhanging trees, it overflows> into the laz, then into the cabin.> > Chris G.> Xenos> >> On Thu, Dec 14, 2023 at 6:54 PM PBR <pbryanriley at gmail.com> wrote:>> >> Rueben,>> In nearly all of our boats water in the lazarette can migrate slowly to the>> bilge.  Unlikely that that much water came through that path but as I>> posted a few weeks ago, check the hoses that funnel water from the cockpit>> seats through the lazarette to the stern.  On my 1989 the flexible hoses>> were cracked/brittle and just taking all the water from the seats into the>> laz.>> Patrick>> >> >> On Thu, Dec 14, 2023 at 3:18 PM Reuben Mezrich <reuben.mezrich at gmail.com>>> wrote:>> >>> This morning a friend called and said my boat was sinking...When I got to>>> the boat there was about a foot of water in the cabin (it was up to the>>> bottom of the cushions) and the boat was hanging from its lines (it was a>>> very low tide)...I borrowed a pump and got most of the water>> out...checked>>> the two through hulls for the head and the one in the lazerette and no>> leak>>> seen. inspected the top of the centerboard trunk and no evidence of a>> leak>>> at any of the visible screws on top (hard to see the two at the>>> furthest aft). There still appears to be a slow leak. There was also>> water>>> in the lazerette but the lazerette seems to be separate from the rest of>>> the boat and no idea how the water got there...There hasn't been much>> rain>>> lately..boat was dry on Monday, which was the last time I checked it...>>> We're having some storms here in Sarasota and the TowBoatUS guy says we>>> really can't tow it till Tuesday>>> >>> Any thoughts on where else to look for leaks. I haven't put any holes in>>> the boat..haven't gone aground>>> Its a puzzle>>> >>> -->>> Reuben Mezrich>>> cell: 410-499-8922>>> Pelican Cove in Sarasota and Back Bay, Boston>>> >>