[Rhodes22-list] Water in the Cabin

jpd9668 jpd9668 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 17 13:36:18 EST 2023

Reuben,Yes, I'm not surprised about your cabin sole. I have seen OSB in some boats, TOTALLY unprofessional on the verge of fraud! Respite had exterior grade CDX sub-floore. It was totally rotted. I replaced with 5 ply marine grade fir plywood, and I pre-treated top and bottom with Woodlife wood preservative (I couldn't find Cuprinol Green which is much better) I covered that with Marine grade 1/4" teak and holly plywood which I treated the underside with Woodlife. I finished the upper surface with 3 coats of Helmsman clear gloss spar varnish. I've enclosed photos from my project.  Notice I also replaced the entire settee with marine grade fir. This is a good opportunity to pull the CB cap off and fully inspect the gasket. Mine was dry rotted and actually had a hole in it (photo enclosed). If the bolts are showing rust, I'd replace them. There are 50+ of them. You'll need  1-1/4"×1/4"-20 thread, 316 grade stainless hexhead screws. Be sure to use fender washers top and bottom (100+), lock washers and hex nuts on the bottom. You can get them from McMaster-Carr. Below is my drawing for replacing the subfloor. I would hope that the measurements would work for your vessel, but you should confirm them.  The original floor came out as two long sections with cutouts for the inspection hatch and the CB trunk. I made mine into six sections making it much easier to re-install. Check the kick plate on the galley side. You'll probably have to remove/replace it also. There are ledger strips for supporting the edges of the floor along port and starboard sides. Those measurements are also shown. If you have to replace them, treat with Woodlife or Cuprinol. If this version doesn't print out very well I can resend a better file. Contact me offline. I'm going to post sections from my World Famous Rhodes 22 Project Manual on the cabin sole and Centerboard Trunk in a separate titled post.Hope this helps.Joe DempseyTrojan 42 MYM/V VoyagerDeltaville, VASent via the Samsung Galaxy S23 5G, an AT&T 5G smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: Reuben Mezrich <reuben.mezrich at gmail.com> Date: 12/17/23  10:35 AM  (GMT-05:00) To: The Rhodes 22 Email List <rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org> Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] Water in the Cabin Hey ChrisOne battery (#1, the one next to the head) is toast, with some sort of foambubbling out of it). The other (#2) is visually OK but haven't tested. Ihad a battery charger under the settee which I expect is gone. I'm worriedabout the battery for my ePropulsion outboard which wasn't submerged butprobably got a bit wet.When I took up the flooring to have a better look at the bilge I found thatthe flooring material was not plywood but appeared to be some sort ofpressboard or particle board..strange material to use in a boat..I'll haveto replace that with plywood and probably a veneer.I will be installing a bilge pump with a float and plumbing it into thesink drain...something about closing the barn door.....TowBoatUS will be towing me to a marina later this week...since I'm stillfloating and with the really bad storms we're having, they wanted to wait.Reuben Mezrichcell: 410-499-8922Pelican Cove in Sarasota and Back Bay, BostonOn Sun, Dec 17, 2023 at 12:19 AM Chris Geankoplis <chrisgeankoplis at gmail.com>wrote:> Hey Reuben,> What Patrick says. Were your batteries OK?  Ponce dry and then paper towel> dry the bilge then lay out some TP squares and check every hour or so.  I> know easier said than done as you guys have a lot of rain right now. If> your seat  drains get plugged from those overhanging trees, it overflows> into the laz, then into the cabin.>> Chris G.> Xenos>> On Thu, Dec 14, 2023 at 6:54 PM PBR <pbryanriley at gmail.com> wrote:>> > Rueben,> > In nearly all of our boats water in the lazarette can migrate slowly to> the> > bilge.  Unlikely that that much water came through that path but as I> > posted a few weeks ago, check the hoses that funnel water from the> cockpit> > seats through the lazarette to the stern.  On my 1989 the flexible hoses> > were cracked/brittle and just taking all the water from the seats into> the> > laz.> > Patrick> >> >> > On Thu, Dec 14, 2023 at 3:18 PM Reuben Mezrich <reuben.mezrich at gmail.com> >> > wrote:> >> > > This morning a friend called and said my boat was sinking...When I got> to> > > the boat there was about a foot of water in the cabin (it was up to the> > > bottom of the cushions) and the boat was hanging from its lines (it> was a> > > very low tide)...I borrowed a pump and got most of the water> > out...checked> > > the two through hulls for the head and the one in the lazerette and no> > leak> > > seen. inspected the top of the centerboard trunk and no evidence of a> > leak> > > at any of the visible screws on top (hard to see the two at the> > > furthest aft). There still appears to be a slow leak. There was also> > water> > > in the lazerette but the lazerette seems to be separate from the rest> of> > > the boat and no idea how the water got there...There hasn't been much> > rain> > > lately..boat was dry on Monday, which was the last time I checked it...> > > We're having some storms here in Sarasota and the TowBoatUS guy says we> > > really can't tow it till Tuesday> > >> > > Any thoughts on where else to look for leaks. I haven't put any holes> in> > > the boat..haven't gone aground> > > Its a puzzle> > >> > > --> > > Reuben Mezrich> > > cell: 410-499-8922> > > Pelican Cove in Sarasota and Back Bay, Boston> > >> >>