[Rhodes22-list] Water in the Cabin

Ric Stott ric at stottarchitecture.com
Wed Dec 20 11:12:00 EST 2023

FRUSTRATING, RIGHT?
I’m thinking rain water or sabotage.
I’m having trouble with the idea that the  cap could leak that much - and then not leak at all.
Attached are photos of what happens when too much pressure is put on the centerboard cap.
When i inherited my ’84 rhodes, it had  a crack in the cap right above the pivot pin.
Obviously from the CB hitting the cap from the underside.
It leaked a little - about a quart or two per day.
I simply fiberglassed the crack and the leak stopped
In the fall of 2019, I retrieved the boat onto the trailer and it was initially too far back so I relaunched to move it forward.
I did not realize that a helper had released the CB pendant line so it was free to drop as the boat came off the trailer.
Always check to be sure you CB  is locked in the up position before launch -especially with the old style blade CB like mine.
As the boat slid into into the water, I heard an odd crunching sound as the boat first lifted then dropped again.
I did get the boat forward on the trailer and pulled it out before I realized what happened.
Once on the pavement, I noticed a huge amount of water drain from the CB - scratching my head, I looked inside and nearly had a heart attack.

The photos explains what happed.
It took me all winter to fix it.
The CB and rudder are the two most vulnerable parts on a Rhodes 22.
Understand and Respect the way they work and always be careful when launching and when backing up in shallow water.

Richard F. Stott, AIA, LEED AP
ric at stottarchitecture.com
O -631-283-1777
C- 516-965-3164