[Rhodes22-list] Trailer Trouble

Peter Nyberg peter at sunnybeeches.com
Sat Jul 22 08:54:48 EDT 2023

Joe,

A fresh water wash-down after launch or retrieval certainly sounds like a good idea, but no boat ramp I've ever used had a faucet.

I should point out that all areas of the trailer that are galvanized seem to be holding up very well.  That includes most of the axles.  But, the axles have 3" or 4" 'drops' welded onto the ends, and these for some reason are not galvanized.  (The 'drops' actually go up rather than down.  They allow the trailer to sit lower, making the boat easier to launch and retrieve.)  Not surprisingly, it was one of the 'drops' that failed.

Just last week, I had taken the boat off of the trailer and taken the trailer to my local shop to have a brake line replaced.  So, they did work very close to the point of failure, and didn't notice anything amiss.

--Peter