[Rhodes22-list] Engine lift winch

jpd9668 jpd9668 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 11 09:34:38 EDT 2023

I love the R22 Motor Lift but like everything else, requires an amount of MAINTENANCE! The winch on Respite is something like Powermatic, I don't think they're still around, but winches are almost generic. My new motor, however, put a strain on the winch which prompted me to start searching for a replacement. Although it weighs 125 Lb, it should not be a problem for the winch, as I recall, it is  3/4 hp winch, so I decided to upgrade to 1 hp. The biggest problem is finding one with the same bolt pattern, which I believe I found at Tractor Supply. Meanwhile, the existing one has never failed. I sprayed the stainless rail that the strap turns over with silicone and the track and roller Shafts with WD40 high moisture resistant lubricant, and Voila! It operated much better. Attn: Joe Nador! Do this a couple times a season and it will take strain off of the winch. Maintenance, maintenence, maintenance! Pays for itself in spades!If interested, I can search my archives and find the winch I had planned to but. Let me know.Joe DempseyTrojan 42m/v VoyagerFormer Rhodes 22 s/v RespiteDeltaville, VA  Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S22 5G, an AT&T 5G smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: BARRY RUEHLEN <ruehbl at msn.com> Date: 6/11/23  7:41 AM  (GMT-05:00) To: The Rhodes 22 Email List <rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org> Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] Engine lift winch I agree with the assessment that the electric winch is very nice as long as it works. We have however, been fighting the electric wench system on a couple different levels in our current makeover our Rhodes. Ours is a winch made to pull a boat onto a trailer, so it's quite robust. I can check the name if anyone wants to know. Haven't had her in the water yet, but it works fine while sitting on our trailer. lol. We have so many other issues, that it didn't come to mind to just get it out of the way. In our salt water environment, who knows how long anything electrical is going to last. I look forward to the pictures as well. I know they make off the shelf systems also.Barry________________________________From: Rhodes22-list <rhodes22-list-bounces at rhodes22.org> on behalf of Peter Nyberg <peter at sunnybeeches.com>Sent: Saturday, June 10, 2023 9:14 PMTo: rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org <rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org>Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] Engine lift winchThomas,The manual outboard lift I use now is not a product that you can buy off-the-shelf. After removing the winch and the strap and the wiring and the switch, I added some blocks and some line.  I can take some pictures tomorrow for you, if you would like.BTW, your concern that "it will fail when I need it most" is exactly why I made the switch.  I've always thought that the electric outboard lift was out of character for Stan's general KISS design principles.  It was probably good marketing though...--Peter