[Rhodes22-list] Manual Outboard Lift

Peter Nyberg peter at sunnybeeches.com
Sun Jun 11 12:52:51 EDT 2023

There has been some interest expressed in my manual outboard lift system, so I'll try to provide some useful pictures and description...

First, I started with Stan's motor driven system installed during a GB recycle of my boat in 2016.  Most of that hardware remains in place, and is used for the manual system.

'Outboard Lift #1' is a view of the top area with the outboard down.  The SS tube with the two black end blocks is part of the original installation that I removed.  This is the tube that the strap from the motor used to ride over.  It's just in the picture so that I can talk about it.  It was  a bit too low and too far aft to allow the outboard to be pulled all the way up.  It was replaced by a new piece of SS tubing that you can see just below the white horizontal starboard 'shelf'.  You can also see two double blocks mounted to the new tube, one to the left and one to the right.  Spreading them provides more space, again to allow the outboard to be fully raised.

'Outboard Lift #2' is looking straight down with the outboard fully lowered. The tube that the lower blocks are attached to is in the same location as the tube that the original motor strap attached to.  It may even be the same piece of tubing, I can't recall.  Most of the work is being done by the four double blocks, one of which has a becket where one end of the line attaches. I used 5/16" line, which is a little easier to grab than 1/4", and sized the blocks accordingly.  The single block at the center-top is used to try to keep the line out of the way when the outboard is fully raised.

'Outboard Lift #3' just shows the outboard full lowered from a different angle.

'Outboard Lift #4' shows the outboard full raised.  You can see that the line does deflect a bit around part of the outboard.  This has not actually been a problem.  This shot also shows the final block attached to the aft railing, which is a single with a built-in cam cleat.

'Outboard Lift #5' is a different view of the outboard fully raised.

'Outboard Lifts #6' is a closeup of the blocks with the outboard full raised.  As you can see, the knot at the end of the line is pulled up tight against the opposing block.

Obviously, there are many different ways that lines and blocks could be arranged for a manual outboard lift system, but I haven't made any changes to this setup for several seasons, so this is working for me.

HTH,

Peter Nyberg
Coventry, CT
s/v Silverheels (1988/2016)