[Rhodes22-list] Centerboard stuck

jpd9668 jpd9668 at gmail.com
Thu May 18 21:10:49 EDT 2023

In the meantime, put some slack in the board pendant so if it shakes loose, it eill drop a few inchedS. If it does, from that point you can activate it as needed. From then on, I don't recommend keeping the board hauled all the way in the up position. You will always be able to move the board.Joe DempseyTrojan 42m/v VoyagerFormer Rhodes 22s/v RespiteDeltaville, VA  Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S22 5G, an AT&T 5G smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: Peter via Rhodes22-list <rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org> Date: 5/18/23  8:03 PM  (GMT-05:00) To: "Michael D. Weisner" <mweisner at ebsmed.com>, The Rhodes 22 Email List <rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org>, Ken Simolo <kensimolo at gmail.com> Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] Centerboard stuck  Thanks, that's good to hear as it'll be a few weeks before the lake starts to warm up. I'll see if I can free it up this weekend.     On Thursday, May 18, 2023, 06:44:07 PM EDT, Ken Simolo <kensimolo at gmail.com> wrote:     Ours sometimes does not drop down right away but pulling up and releasing on the rope a few times and then motoring seems to do the trick.  I would not be too quick to go for a swim.  You are likely just dealing with some algae and scum.  Being in the water for a bit might also help.Ken  On May 18, 2023 at 2:08:46 PM, Peter via Rhodes22-list (rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org) wrote:  Hi Michael, Seems like I'm gonna get wet before this gets solved. Sure glad this isn't a 600 pound iron swing keel! To the best of my knowledge the boat has been sailed in freshwater lakes, so while not impossible, I think marine growth is unlikely. I'll plan on some pressure from Below while someone controls the line from the cockpit, unless it comes free from motor vibration. I'm hoping not to put it on the trailer until sometime in October, so maybe I'll sail with it "up" until then.Thanks for your thoughts Peter On Thursday, May 18, 2023, 01:09:50 PM EDT, Michael D. Weisner <mweisner at ebsmed.com> wrote:   Hi Peter,The reason that the centerboard fails to lower can be for many reasons. The line or tackle might be jammed, a sheeve has broken or the board may be stuck in the centerboard trunk due to an obstruction. Simply pulling up and releasing the centerboard line may free the board. I do not recommend allowing the board to drop freely to its bottom position as it can damage the pivot hardware or the trunk.Since I am based in the Long Island Sound, if my board movement becomes restricted, I always think of marine growth such as mussels or barnacles on the sides of the board or inside of the trunk. Some folks have been successful at releasing the board by sliding a thin piece of plastic alongside the board from underneath to dislodge the obstruction, marine life or stones. Be very careful as the marine growth can be very sharp and may cause infection if you are cut by it.The best solution, of course, is to retrieve the craft from the water and open the centerboard trunk after removing the cabin sole (floor). There are some 60 bolts holding the cap to the trunk. This can require several hours or a day to complete, including applying bottom paint to the board and the interior of the trunk. Usually, the gasket can be reused,The most common solution is to sail for the season with the board up and work on the centerboard while on the hard for winter. This will limit your ability to point close to the wind and control side slippage BUT YOU WILL BE SAILING!Mikes/v Wind Lass ('91)Nissequogue River, NYI’d rather be sailing :~)-----Original Message-----From: Rhodes22-list <rhodes22-list-bounces at rhodes22.org> On Behalf Of Peter via Rhodes22-listSent: Thursday, May 18, 2023 8:46 AMTo: rhodes22-list at rhodes22.orgSubject: [Rhodes22-list] Centerboard stuckHi all,  So my new-to-me '86 rhodes is in the water  at her slip.  I'm doing a few projects before taking her out for a first sail.Just to get a feel for the centerboard weight I uncleated the line and....nothing, didn't move a bit.  Before I dive in and try pulling on the board, I thought I'd ask if there's another (warmer) approach to freeing a stuck centerboard. Thanks as always,       Peter