[Rhodes22-list] Cockpit seat drains in Lazerette

PBR pbryanriley at gmail.com
Wed Nov 1 18:00:53 EDT 2023

This is just to caution about aging hoses used for the seat drains.  My
1989 had corrugated white tubing 1 1/4 ID.  I have often had unexplained
water in the bilge and each time I had water in the Laz I chalked it up to
clogged seat drains from leaves or gumballs etc.  that came along when my
winter tarp getting shredded by storms.  Recently a tropical storm came
along as my tarp was reaching the end of it's life and exposed the stern
area.  I came to the boat to find the front of the trailer completely off
the ground and the laz. nearly full of water.  I discovered the drain hoses
to have cracks and they were fragile as eggshells once I started handling
them.  Clearly they have not had sun exposure but after nearly 35 years the
plastic is done.

Just another thought, about 10 years ago in Colorado one of the racers in
the club had a brand new boat ,  22 ft I think, can't remember the brand.
Anyway, he capsized in a race, got towed to shore.  They righted the boat,
got it on trailer, and as they were pulling up the ramp the weight of water
in the boat slammed into the stern and basically removed it (stern
fiberglass).  So be careful if you ever have a laz full of water....