[Rhodes22-list] Anchoring

jpd9668 at gmail.com jpd9668 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 12:42:28 EDT 2023

I replaced the rub rail on Respite in 2019.  The Deck to Hull joint is a "shoe box" type, meaning that the vertical flange of the Deck overlaps the Hull. The seam is sealed and S.S. fasteners  #6 or #8 screws are also used, spaced about 24", Max, apart. The Rub Rail is a two part system by TACO Marine PN: V21-9678BKA20 and PN: V12-4144WH. They are available from most marine chandleries. Below is paragraph 6 from my documentary of projects performed on S.V. Respite: (NOTE: Photos did not come through)
6.	Rub Rail Replacement

The rub rail on “Respite” was damaged pretty badly in her slip during a storm. Numerous screws were pulled out and the two piece rail was damaged and scuffed (Left photo).  I decided on the replacement route. The existing rail was a two piece design by Taco Marine consisting of a black rigid PVC rail (PN: V21-9678BKA20) and a soft white insert (V12-4144WH**). The rigid rail is 1-1/2” X 5/8” comes in 20’ sections and overlaps the cabin/hull joint. The insert comes in 50’ and 70’ rolls.
There are numerous YouTube videos on line via West Marine, Taco Marine or Jamestown Supply so I won’t go into the process here other than to discuss some of the things that I did that may or may not prove beneficial.

First, I filled all of the previous screw holes, and there were many, with 3m 5200 Sealant. Although they would be covered by the rigid rub rail, I trimmed the excess of each with a razor scrapper.
Second, as a precautionary measure, since I have been fighting leaks from somewhere, I inspected the cap/hull seam-joint and there were places that it seemed to show some separation and dryness. Using a Dremel tool with cutter wheel, I cut out a groove the entire perimeter of the joint in the old sealant and using 3M 4200, I caulked the entire joint insuring to get up into the groove I had made as well as any other spots that seemed compromised. I used 4200 because this joint was going to be covered with the rigid rub rail, would provide a bed for the lower edge of the rail and 5200 would become permanent which would preclude any future removal/repair/replacement of the rail.

Joe Dempsey
Trojan 42 MY
M V Voyager
Ex-Rhodes 22 (1989-2005)