[Rhodes22-list] Solar panels?

jpd9668 jpd9668 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 5 20:16:27 EST 2023

Only had 2 at a time. He had to replace 2 on two occasions. The two that came with the boat had been removed and stored indoors for five years. I winter stored  them each year on a 3 stage charger with float and an equalizer. They were 12 years old when I replaced the them.JoeSent via the Samsung Galaxy S22 5G, an AT&T 5G smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: Tom Van Heule <tom.vanheule at intrinsicprograms.com> Date: 11/5/23  5:47 PM  (GMT-05:00) To: The Rhodes 22 Email List <rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org> Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] Solar panels? Why did they have 4 batteries? Might be a herring... But my boat had 2 withthe factory setup from 2011 and the small panels wired as peter described.If it wasn't for indoor storage I wouldn't have turned the batteries off.In the slip I could leave the lights on and not have to connect to shorepower or worry.On Sun, Nov 5, 2023, 4:35 PM jpd9668 <jpd9668 at gmail.com> wrote:> Peter,The previous owner of Respite had to replace 4 Group 29 batteries.> He said it was the solar chargers. From the little I know about> electricity,  I agree with you, it seems unlikely that a 10 watt charger @> 1amp could over charge 600+ CCA batteries. But he was a EE, PhD from> Cornell, what can I say?  Then again, I went to a little ol' southern state> engineering school!Joe DempseyTrojan 42 MYM V VoyagerEx-Rhodes22S V> RespiteDeltaville, VASent via the Samsung Galaxy S22 5G, an AT&T 5G> smartphone> -------- Original message --------From: Peter Nyberg <> peter at sunnybeeches.com> Date: 11/5/23  3:14 PM  (GMT-05:00) To:> rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] Solar panels? I> am aware of no instances where anybody reported overcharging or other> damage to batteries resulting from connecting the small solar panels> installed by General Boats directly (i.e. without a controller)In my case,> I have two 100 watt solar panels mounted on an arch over the aft end of the> cockpit.  These are connected to a solar controller that lives in the> lazarette, which is then connected to the house bank.  I still have the two> small solar panels on the cabin roof, and these are connected directly to> the batteries, as they were when I picked up the boat from General> Boats--Peter> On 2023-11-05, at 12:04:21 EST, Joe Dempsey wrote:>> You can> use  volt meter. You can also check the Amps. Advise installing a >> controller to prevent over charging.Joe DempseyTrojan 42 MYM V> VoyagerEx-Rhodes > 22S V Respite Deltaville, VASent via the Samsung> Galaxy S22 5G, an AT&T > 5G smartphone >>