[Rhodes22-list] Bottom Paint - Trailer Bunks

Chris on LBI cknell at vt.edu
Fri Oct 6 18:25:33 EDT 2023

I love it. I wish I had thought of that.

As you suggested, I found this related link in the archives:
http://rhodes22.org/reference-topic.html?M|reference/Maintenance%20-%20Lifting%20Boat%20off%20of%20Trailer.html

I just measured the change in elevation of the rear end of my trailer.
Starting at horizontal, I can get about 5" of additional elevation at
the aft end of the bunks if I lower the tongue to the ground; so a
little more than that for the aft end of the boat. I use a 1" roller to
apply the paint, so this will be plenty of room.

I'm not very familiar with blocking, but I'm thinking I would make
cinder block "towers" to port and starboard and then use a 6x6 x 8' beam
between the towers on which the hull would rest. Then I'd cut wedges to
jamb in on each side to prevent rolling. This would be located close to
the aft end of the bunks. I would do something similar for the blocking
near the bow, but with the "towers" closer together so that they fit
under and through the trailer frame. These would be about 30" aft of the
bow. But wedges don't make sense under the bow due to the shape of the
hull, so the forward hull would rest on the 6x6 with no wedges; maybe
just put 6x6 blocks in on each side and fasten them into place on the
6x6 beam. Does that sound about right?

Chris