[Rhodes22-list] Rigging the main sheet

Todd Tavares tavares0947 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 10 09:37:44 EDT 2023

Tom,

The main sheet set up is the same as most main sheet or boom vang
configurations.

The connection to the end of the boom hasn't changed much over the years,
and is a tang hanging loosely from the end casting of the boom. Without
looking, I can't remember if its a 4 to1 or a 5 to 1 set-up.

The  traveler set-up has changed several times over the years though. The
earliest ones I've seen on the boats I've owned (a 1974, 1976 and my
present 1984) have/had a single wire going between the backstay chainplates
with enough slack to form in inverted V over the tiller. Riding on that
cable was a traveling block with a shackle to attach the lower block and
cam assembly of the main sheet tackle. Some, like my 1984 were rigged with
a second set of blocks captured on the backstays; below the backstay
tensioning blocks, as a rudimentary way to tow the mainsheet to windward.
The previous owner of my boat (Lloyd Crowther) just eliminated the inverted
V cable and simply used the line as a traveler (see pic)
They next version of traveler had a 1" SS tube set between stanchion caps
captured on the backstays where the older version blocks were. This type of
tube traveler was used for many years.
The final version of the traveller is the one Robert has pictured. There
was a year of so just before that Stan had a couple of failed attempts
before settling on Robert's model.

I will try to post pics this evening of the otherversions/styles of
travelers.

But what if anything, do you have now?

Todd T