[Rhodes22-list] Anchoring

ROGER PIHLAJA roger_pihlaja at msn.com
Fri Oct 27 18:21:33 EDT 2023

Rick,

Tell us more about how one of the upper side stay chainplates failed suddenly and without warning.  I agree it’s hard to inspect the way it’s glassed in.  However, if the FRP substrate failed, I would expect it would get “mushy” first.  Similarly, if the stainless steel chainplate itself failed, I would expect it to gradually get weaker as the pitting and cracks extended.  Either mechanism would cause a situation wherein you would have issues with maintaining the shroud tension.  After every sail, the shroud would be loose.  Since you claim the failure happened suddenly without warning, please tell us what happened.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium
Sent from my iPhone