[Rhodes22-list] Anchoring

jpd9668 jpd9668 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 28 14:21:23 EDT 2023

I don't know if this thread is about Anchoring or Bow Chocks, so I'll comment on both.The friendly anchoring discussion is interesting. Roger is correct in that running Rode through Bow Eye would enable a shorter radius with the same amount of holding power. For me, with my back and hip pain, I just don't care to go through the contortions to crawl under the pulpit on my belly, squeezing around the furler and ventilator to reach the Bow Eye. I actually have (had) 30 feet of chain on the anchor and 120 feet of Rode.Must be a pre-GBI built Rhodes not to have Bow Chocks. I replaced mine with larger chocks to allow for spring lines. I used #12 or larger sheet metal screws and bedded with silicone bedding. There is no vertical stress on the chocks so no backing plates are really necessary.Joe DempseyTrojan 42 MYM.V. VoyagerEx-Rhodes 22S.V. RespiteDeltaville, VASent via the Samsung Galaxy S22 5G, an AT&T 5G smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: Mitch Mitchell <mitchpadl at gmail.com> Date: 10/28/23  8:11 AM  (GMT-05:00) To: The Rhodes 22 Email List <rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org> Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] Anchoring I would really like to install them in the toe rail and wondering if I canjust screw them in with some 5200? Has anyone else done this? There is noaccess to the backside of the toe rail and if I put them on the deck theline will rub against the toe rail.  I did see one message in the archivestalking about using a tap but couldn't really follow the technique.On Sat, Oct 28, 2023 at 7:46 AM Jeff Smith Photo <jeffsmithphoto at gmail.com>wrote:> Fender washers and nylock nuts are all you should need to install chocks.> There is no real load on them.>> Best Regards> Jeff Smith> www.http://JeffSmithPhoto.Net> 732-236-1368>