[Rhodes22-list] Anchoring

Chris Geankoplis chrisgeankoplis at gmail.com
Sat Oct 28 23:19:06 EDT 2023

Hey Mitch,
               Roger has some very good points.  I've installed the chocks
on the toe rail and at least on my 0ld 1983, it was possible.  By removing
the trim I was able, just barely, to install the chocks with bolts and lock
nuts.

Having sailed and anchored my Rhodes the length of the northern
Mediterranean, the Chesapeake, the Bahamas and the Sea of Cortez and much
of the PNW and British Columbia, anchoring in all sorts of conditions,
currents and bottoms, I do have some opinions on anchoring the Rhodes.
Several of the responders have good points especially regarding scope.  A
Rocna or similar anchor is very versatile.  20' of chain was what I always
used in conjunction with the 3 strand 1/2" nylon rode.  5-7 to 1 ratio
depending on the bottom and conditions, worked well.  Also nothing wrong
with running a line to a windward shore either.  Lots of sage advice given
on the list.  Having anchored overnight many of hundreds of times, I think
we have dragged anchor a handful of times.

Chris Geankoplis
<enos