[Rhodes22-list] Anchoring

ROGER PIHLAJA roger_pihlaja at msn.com
Sat Oct 28 17:24:43 EDT 2023

Hi Rick,

Boy, for somebody you've never met, you make a lot of assumptions about me and my boat.  First of all, my boat hook is always stored in a pair of Beckson Clipper Clips on the back wall of the cockpit just below the lazarette hatch.  I can easily find it in the dark.  Second, I always sleep with my camping headlight within easy reach.  Third, I always set a GPS anchor watch.  So, I would be awakened re a dragging anchor long before any of the boats around me noticed.  Actually, after many years of cruising, you get sensitive to the boat's motions and what a dragging anchor feels like.  The chances are, I'd be up on deck checking things out anyway.  I always take a couple of visual bearings on landmarks on shore to quickly detect if my boat has moved.  Fourth, the anchor rode is the only line extending out from the bow.  Even without my headlight, I could easily find it in the dark.  Just sweep the boat hook in front of the bow and it is bound to run into the anchor rode.

Look, this thread is really getting tiresome.  Anchor your boat however you please.  I'm just glad I don't have to deal with you in person.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium