[Rhodes22-list] Honda BF9.9 Oil from carb

PBR pbryanriley at gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 13:51:30 EDT 2024

Hello all.

I have a Honda 9.9 2 cyl.  that has been mostly sitting for a few years.
It sat on the boat in Kitty Hawk (humid environment) for one winter
untouched (2018).  Since then I have not used it on the water but always
expecting that I might anytime soon I did not winterize but dutifully
started it every couple of months throughout the winters and ran it a bit
with the water hose.  Always started easy and ran good.  Some smoke at
first but not enough to concern me.  This time as I was about to put the
thing in to use I put a bucket (trash can ) around it and ran it again.
Started easy , runs good, again some smoking, enough to get me curious but
not constant at all speeds.

Looking under the cowling I see oil dripping from the carb intake (clean
golden oil).  Still running fine.I am hoping there may be a *vent clog* or
something rather than just frozen rings.  Any thoughts?  *Stuck valve?* (
but runs pretty good)

This 1999 motor has VERY VERY low miles and looks brand new so I hate to
scrap it but given the date of manufacture the value is probably less than
a marine repair will charge me to take a look.  Hoping for a miracle
solution.  Twice I have removed mud dauber bee nests from under the cowling
so maybe I can find something suspicous.

The trash can I ran it in did have some residual oil clinging to the sides
but I don't know how much might be normal.

My plan next trip in a couple of weeks is to look for clogs and try running
again maybe with a high dose of sea foam or something.  Not sure of any
miracle sauce that might help stuck rings.

Patrick