[Rhodes22-list] Honda BF9.9 Oil from carb

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Tue Apr 2 14:12:13 EDT 2024

Patrick,

I think that if you have a problem with "stuck" piston rings, you would know it. I would suspect that there would be a loud noise and the engine probably would not run at low speeds as it seized up.

My guess is more a problem with the crankcase ventilation system. Usually there is a PCV style one-way valve that sucks oil fumes out of the crankcase, burning them by introducing into the air intake. Check the air filter which is usually part of the recirculation circuit as it can become saturated with oil.

Is the engine consuming oil? Have you checked the oil level using the dipstick? The smoke and excess oil can be the result of worn (not stuck) piston rings or valves that are allowing the oil to pass into the combustion path.

Mike
s/v Wind Lass ('91)
Nissequogue River, NY
I’d rather be sailing :~)