[Rhodes22-list] Centerboard thumping

Peter Nyberg peter at sunnybeeches.com
Thu Apr 25 09:56:48 EDT 2024

Peter,

I've never taken my centerboard cap off, so I can't speak to the internal assembly, but I can say that my centerboard will also thump if it's down while the boat is at anchor and rocking a bit. It has done this since I bought it freshly recycled by General Boats, so I consider this normal behavior, and not cause for concern.

My centerboard will also sometimes thump when it's down and I'm under sail.  As I recall, Stan mentions in the owner's manual that if this is happening, it's a sign that the centerboard isn't doing anything except adding to drag, and it should be pulled up.

Peter Nyberg
Coventry, CT
s/v Silverheels (1988/2016)

> On 2024-04-25, at 08:53:59 EDT, peter beckerman wrote:
>
> I figured I should start a new (related) thread.
> I've only ever been able to partially deploy my centerboard, but when partially
> down it'll "thump" a bit as the boat rocks back and forth.  Since I have
> the centerboard cap off trying to figure out why the board won't fully deploy, I
> figured I'd take a look at the pivot slot.  Overall the slot looks okay,
> with just a bit of obvious wear and tear, mostly to the paint.   I
> noticed that when the board is moved so that the pivot pin is firm against one
> side of the slot, there's about 1/4 inch of space between the pin and the other
> side of the slot.  I'm wondering if this is about the proper tolerance or
> if there's too much of a gap?  Also, there were two lengths of vinyl tubing
> placed in the slot on port and starboard sides of the centerboard.  Are
> these supposed to be shock absorbers?  I guess they would also discourage
> the  board from moving up into the slot during a grounding.  Mine are
> hard as a rock and I suppose they should be replaced with something more
> flexible.  Any thoughts?

[ Sent From rhodes22.net ]