[Rhodes22-list] GB tiller-motor link geometry problem

ROGER PIHLAJA roger_pihlaja at msn.com
Thu Jun 6 17:04:36 EDT 2024

Hi Patrick,

Using your straight overhead photo, I estimate the ratio of the [Rudder Pivot R] / [Motor Pivot R] ~ 3.2 .  This is an example of a type of mechanical amplifier.  ie, The motor would turn about 3.2 X as many degrees as the rudder turns.  There is also about that much torque amplification.  However, mechanical amplifiers like this have a very limited range of linear operation.  It has to do with the linkage geometry and the nonlinear behavior of trig functions.  Outside of this range, the linkage behavior becomes very nonlinear.  If you moved the rudder pivot forward so that the above ratio is < ~ 2, you will find the linear range is increased and there will still be sufficient torque multiplication such that the tiller will not be too hard to move.  I’m afraid if you shorten the [Rudder Pivot R] too much and approach a ratio ~ 1.0; that, the tiller will take a lot of force to operate and you will lose “rudder feel” , especially under sail.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium
1978. Sanford, MI

Sent from my iPhone