[Rhodes22-list] Mast step issues?

ROGER PIHLAJA roger_pihlaja at msn.com
Wed Jun 26 09:25:04 EDT 2024

Matt,

My 1978 Rhodes has a stout compression post in the cabin under the mast.  I can’t speak about this feature re newer boats.  Is your cabin interior custom?  Unless your cabin roof is very thick, it would take something like a steel I-beam spanning the cabin to withstand the compression load from the mast without a compression post.  If you have a stud finder, you should be able determine if there is a steel I-beam built into your cabin roof.  If it’s not there; then, you have a problem.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium
1978. Sanford, MI

Sent from my iPhone