[Rhodes22-list] Mast step issues?

Matt Wilson mwhornblower at gmail.com
Wed Jun 26 08:51:52 EDT 2024

Hello Rhodies,

I hope you are all enjoying your summer and excursions.

I received word of Stan’s passing at the tail end of a wonderful sunset
sail with my daughter and her fiancé.  How apropos!  Never met Stan but
enjoyed seeing his personality and helpfulness via the emails he sent over
the time I was on this list.

I just spent the first night aboard and happened to notice that there is a
very slight bowing/sagging in the ceiling below the mast step. There is a
similar dip in the deck on top. There is no other evidence of damage just
very slight hairline cracks on the forward corners of the mast step.  I had
noticed previously and been surprised by the fact that there is nothing
directly under the mast like in most boats. Is this something I should be
concerned about? Is the deck failing? Were the shrouds tightened a bit too
much at some point. I could try to send a few pictures, but it’s pretty
hard to see. But let me know if that would be helpful. thank you for your
help and perspective.

Matt Wilson
Hornblower II
White Bear Lake, MN