[Rhodes22-list] Rhodes Continental backstay question

Brian Ferguson brian.a.ferguson76 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 8 18:39:30 EST 2024

Per my earlier post, my ‘76 Continental has been an adventure. I’m not
blaming the previous owners, but… there’s some pretty non-standard things
going on. Currently #1 on my list, there was a Harken traveler mounted to a
few pieces of angle-aluminum and some aluminum bar bolted right to the
fiberglass in the back of the cockpit. Yes, there was some backing, but not
sure if the cut-up pieces of former street signs were up to the job. There
are two backstay attachment points on the port and starboard stern corners,
well placed and reinforced. To my subject line, I am at the crossroads of
needing backstays and figuring out the mainsheet plan. I’m sure I’m going
to hear about contacting Edenton about the new rig, but I wanted hear from
the list before making my decision. Literally a blank slate for the
mainsheet. Having also owned a Catalina 18, ComPac 23, and Seaward 24, I’ve
had multiple variations for my mainsheet and backstays.

Oh and yeah, the standing rigging is of questionable vintage so I am
replacing that before sailing this summer.

Brian

NewIn76

Sumter, SC