[Rhodes22-list] Rhodes Continental owners?

Tom Hyatt thyatt at mica.edu
Fri Mar 8 20:05:58 EST 2024

Brian:

My Rhodes is a 1978 Continental. Here are the things I have seen that
definitely reflect on poor craftsmanship for whichever company Stan
contracted to build those boats.

1. Stern and bow rails were 7/8 aluminum. The stern rail was poorly
attached to the transom, so much so that I could wiggle it easily. I
replaced it over the fall with a SS 1" rail system that I bought, cut up
and refitted. It is super tight and seems to work well. The bow rail is not
quite as critical but if the opportunity arises, I will replace it as well.
2, The inside of the pop-top is not finished. On the newer R22s I see that
the inside is smooth and beautiful. Mine has a popcorn surface like you see
in ceilings of cheap motel rooms on Route 1. I have painted it white but I
still have pop-top envy when I see the newer boats.
3. The undersides of the cockpit benches seem like they were not well
thought-out. I removed all of the sliding panels that were (I guess)
supposed to protect and hide any kit that was stored there.
4. The wiring was a total afterthought, I think. I had to rewire the boat
from top to bottom.
5. The lazarette lid has no hinging system. Not a big deal but annoying
sometimes.
6. The jib roller furling system was problematic. It was a rudimentary
design that jammed such that I could not use it so I replaced it with a
Profurl system

Having said all that, everything else has been great (so far). I have seen
no places where the fiberglass is not in good shape, no soft spots on the
deck and the interior is dry as can be. The quality of the hull seems
wonderful - smooth and defect-free, the standing rigging made of good
materials, the cabin still lovely and comfortable.

Let me know if you have questions.

Tom Hyatt
S/V Eliza Jane 1978
Baltimore. MD