[Rhodes22-list] Electric propulsion vs. electric start

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Fri Mar 22 15:47:28 EDT 2024

After I read about Reuben's loss of his ePropulsion system and batteries, I
reevaluated adding electric propulsion to my R22. Considering the cost, it
is just not ready for all that can easily happen on a sailboat. I wish that
the electric systems were more robust or cost less so that I wouldn't cry if
they were lost or damaged. I even looked at the specs on some low cost
Hangkai electric outboards from China. Maybe I could mount twin 1200W/5HP
engines ($266 each w/free shipping from eBay) and see if I could steer by
varying the engine speeds. The products are poorly documented and I am not
sure how to mount two engines without obstructing the stern boarding ladder
on the starboard side. As a result I decided to put off electric propulsion,
for now.

I had wanted electric propulsion for many reasons such using the high torque
at low speeds of the electric engines when maneuvering in close quarters.
Also they have remotes that permit you to dock much more easily while moving
about the boat. One additional reason is that has become more of an issue in
the past few years to start my Yamaha outboard due to the disproportionate
aging of my shoulder and rotator cuff, even if it only requires 1 or 2
pulls.

Since I was not ready to take the ePropulsion plunge, I decided to add
electric start to my 6 HP Yamaha. In addition to the kit of electric start
components, I had to scrounge up an "electric flywheel / rotor" (with teeth)
and a bracket for the starter motor. eBay is great for such parts in gently
used condition. Total cost is projected to be about $525 including a new
battery. It seemed worthwhile to spend on a low hours 19 year old 6 HP
4-stroke that still runs great. I'll post a report when it is done.

I may yet purchase the 48V Hangkai 1200W to see how it works. I can do sea
trials on my dinghy if I can find space for the four 12V batteries!

Mike

s/v Wind Lass ('91)

Nissequogue River, NY

I'd rather be sailing :~)