[Rhodes22-list] Centerboard control line size/leak

Graham Stewart gstewart.gm at gmail.com
Sun May 19 12:38:42 EDT 2024

I found that I could not get a water-tight seal using the gasket alone -
probably because I was not able to find the proper gasket material here
in Canada. I decided to add some butyl tape and that solved the problem.
Some say that you shouldn't use butyl below the waterline, but my seal has
been holding fine for about 5 years now. I am not sure whether the seal is
actually below the waterline most of the time either.
The advantage of butyl is that it has virtually no adhesive properties and
is easy to remove. It also compresses very easily. I have no idea whether
it is better or worse than the silicone material that Roger used but it is
an alternative that might be worth considering in problem situations.
I also found that it is much easier to install the bolts upside down. That
way you can use a power drill with a torque adjustment to quickly drive the
nuts with equal torque. Of course, you need to make sure that the bolts you
use are not so long as to touch the floorboards.

Graham Stewart
Agile 76