[Rhodes22-list] shroud tension jokes

Christine Allison rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Wed, 21 Aug 2002 10:46:41 -0400

Everything that has been written here is correct and very informative.

However I would like to summarize what has to be done to set up your rig.
This is how I do it... by eye (no gauge)

1. There are two types of rigs around Fractional and Mast Head (Rhodes)

2.  A  modern fractional rig is meant to bend.  This capacity is used to
control the shape of the mainsail (J-24)

3.  A mast head rig is designed to stay in column (not bend).  Sail shaping
is via Cunningham's, down haul and outhaul.

4.  What you want to do is get the rig just tight enough to hold the mast in
column under MOST conditions.

5.  The main shroud's hold the mast VERTICAL.  Adjust them first. I
alternately tighten the turnbuckles until the mast bends (port or starboard)
backoff  the tighter shroud to eliminate the bend.

6.  The lower shrouds (mostly) control the fore and aft "pumping" of the
mast.  They also counteract the tendency of the backstay to bend the mast
when it is tightened.

7.  On the Rhodes you have to tighten the backstay to tension the forestay.
The forestay MUST be good and taut but NOT rigid. I see to many people
sailing with a sagging forestay... very bad for windward work.

8. Using a halyard as a straight edge tighten the appropriate lower(s) to
take out any fore/aft bends apparent.  The bend will be centered at the
spreader level

9.  You know have now obtained the minimum symetrical tension necessary.

Now go for a sail. Observe your shrouds when close hauled on BOTH tacks.  If
necessary them tighten EVENLY starting with  the main shrouds until the
leeward shrouds are BARELY tight but not flopping.

It will take time to get this right.  Another consideration... I wet sail my
boat.  It is probable that a boat which is stored on a trailer can never be
set up in this way because of deformation of the hull which gradually
relaxes once the boat is launched.

Richard Smith