[Rhodes22-list] Cooking

anima anima@apex.net
Mon, 4 Nov 2002 21:40:25 -0600

Ok fellas, ya got me on one of my favorite subjects.
I really think you're on the engineer overkill for this
power thing.
I only have charcoal and wished I had purchased the
propane magma but several years ago this list went through
such a thing about Ka-Boom that I chickened out. I have
since cooked on many a boat and have learned the safety
steps and feel quite comfortable (though always on the alert).
For a weekend on Pickwick (have sailed and overnighted on that
great water also) or KY Lake, I believe you just have to plan well.
As Brad had leaked, I have the one-burner stock GB stove and
a charcoal magma.
I do the chicken (or hamburger) on Friday night. This I have in marinade
and nearly frozen, since these are more susceptible.Next is completely
frozen Pork tenderloin in marinade in ziplock bag for 2nd night. I will
put potatoes in oil and lemon and rosemary in a aluminum foil packet and
ziplock. These I place on the coals as they are started so the potatoes can
cook. (If I am really organized, I sometimes precook 'em a ways at home.)
My job hours are long, so rarely get that good!
I make a mean rice and bean and corn dish (some of you had this at KY)
and this goes in a foil packet and warms up on the coals prior to meat
grilling also...you can always leave it on the grill when you put on the
grate.
 I usually save thick pieces of steak for the third day. I have one of those
soft sided coolers that fits ontop of the "beer bin" in the refridge.
I have the side opening door on fridge rather than the 'dig in from the top"
that I saw at our gathering on some boats. (I like my side opener better,
but this may be a familiarity issue) Seems easier to get a beer.
I put one of those pre-frozen packs in the soft sider next to the meat
along with ice that I replenish through the weekend.
Many times even in the 90+ weather, I have to remember to get the
frozen meat out so it will thaw and marinate or we eat very late!
Often when I come home from store I will marinate the meat before I
freeze it...Walla! Super organization! I like those days!
The remainder of side dishes I store in cooler in the ever wonderful
ziplocks and generally plan for non refridgerated treats. I have planty
of beer storage as Brad already told you and... experienced first hand!
Plenty of room for dinner wine in the V berth shelves.
Plus, 5 fenders for rafting up with the big boys!
I always tell 'em.....7.5 foot cockpit...just perfect for a single gal.
Meanwhile they are pretty packed in on their 30+ footer cockpits!
In the a.m. I use the burner inside with pop-top up for boiling coffee
water which is my reverse osmosis water from home. I stock gallons
of these in the lazerette. I use the old Melitta drip. they have a new pot
that is thermal and holds over 8 cups of coffee! $20 on their site.
(Actually, I gave it to Steve because he liked it so much and it is now
on the "Bright Star" at Marco Island this eve, sailing on its way to
Guatemala.)
Guess i'll have to get a new one for my boat.
Cooking 101,
Anne