[Rhodes22-list] Happy Halloween!

Wally Buck tnrhodey at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 3 07:57:11 EST 2003

I couldn't get away from work but we hit the lake Friday night heading out
in the dark upriver to our favorite cove. The stars and the moon were very
bright and we dropped anchor about 8 PM. I wanted to go for a swim but the
water seemed a little cold. We later went swimming and it was quite brisk.

Saturday we had record temps in the low 80s but little wind. I spent most of
the time fishing, reading, and messing around in my kayak.  Saturday
afternoon we rafted up with a friends Sea Pearl and he cooked up some Shrimp
Gumbo for dinner. We managed to consume quite a few beers, wine, then some
Bailey's. The stars were out Saturday and it was one of the clearest nights
in a long time.

Sunday morning we woke up to thick fog. I enjoyed a couple of expressos as
the fog burned off listening to Jenny snooze in the cabin. Later I went for
a long paddle in the kayak enjoying the solitude. We relaxed at anchor until
early afternoon and then headed home.

I purchased a used Sea Eagle kayak a year ago and it is great. I can inflate
it in the cockpit using the foot pump and I can get on the water in under 15
minutes. I have the tandem model and it is rated for use up to Class IV
rapids. It has self bailing drains that close or open. It is very
comfortable and can hold up to 850 pounds! It is quite long (almost 14 feet)
and very stable. It is very easy to get in and out of when pulled along side
the Rhodes. It doesn't track as well as a real kayak but it does better than
I expected.

Wally