[Rhodes22-list] Winter Semester, 2004 @ SVSU - The NerdyAdventure Continues!

Roger Pihlaja cen09402 at centurytel.net
Sat Nov 29 07:12:26 EST 2003

Steve,

Dr. Schilling has other Sr. Research Projects going on besides mine.  But my
project is different in that I envisioned the process that it will be based
upon as well as personally doing all the leg work to setup my schedule,
double & triple dipping the research work into the substance of the other
classes, secured a willing partner for the Senior Design series, petitioned
the courses to count towards my major, and got the rest of the faculty
behind me.  The research project and the published paper will be very much
of a collaborative effort between equal partners.  Dr. Schilling's other
projects are all being carried out by 21 year old kids with no experience or
expertise beyond what they've learned at school.  The creative input on
these other projects pretty much comes from Dr. Schilling and the students
merely carry out his instructions.  It took me most of the Fall, 2003
Semester to figure out the political situation and the players at SVSU.  26
years of experience at Dow Chemical in one of the most Machiavellian
organizations in the world gave me the right skill set to 1st scope out &
then navigate this mine field.  I plead guilty to shamelessly using the
system to serve my own needs and agenda.  The president of the university
desperately wants an entrepreneurial start-up company in order to respond to
recent accusations from the State of Michigan Governor's office that
Michigan's public supported universities are not adequately working with
Michigan businesses to help them &/or adequately preparing their students to
do anything other than accept a job working for someone else after
graduation.  Governor Granholm charges that is there is little or no job
creation coming out of Michigan's public universities.  In that respect,
I've consciously volunteered to be a guinea pig.  If this business works
out, then my company will be the first entrepreneurial start-up from SVSU.
It was not difficult to convince the other faculty members to be supportive
and make accommodations once the situation became clear to them.  Whether my
idea works or not, the university will be able to point to the effort as a
"pilot program".  This is, of course, utterly ridiculous.  I'm bringing a
combination of skill sets, years of experience, maturity, patience, and
ambition that I find almost totally lacking in my younger classmates.  Like
most new business start-ups, if this one works, it will be because someone
wants it badly enough to make it happen in spite of the system, not because
of it.  The chance of a generally applicable program to generate
entrepreneurial start-up companies coming from this effort is slim to none.
Whether or not they realize this fact, the university faculty are desperate
with no plan of their own how to make it happen beyond offering the MSTP531
Entrepreneurship Seminar.  Like most good deals, this one is a win/win
situation.  I get what I want, Dr. Schilling gets what he wants, & the
university gets what it thinks it wants.  Please excuse my cynicism, but I'm
actually feeling rather well pleased with myself.

The one person I need to be careful about while all this is occuring is
Christa, my Senior Design partner.  Christa is not out to conquer the world,
she's just trying to earn her BSME degree & graduate.  Christa has no part
in all this behind the scenes manuvering and needs to be kept somewhat
isolated from it lest it explode in my face.  She needs to be carefully
mentored about how to do projects and not be given more to do than she can
handle.  Fortunately, I have quite a lot of experience with mentoring new
employees, so this should not be a problem.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium