[Rhodes22-list] Tanzers and Rhodes

Peter Thorn pthorn at nc.rr.com
Fri May 21 14:23:15 EDT 2004

Chris, Ashley et al,

Tanzer Industries did indeed build Tanzers in the building now occupied by
GBI.  My 1979 Tanzer 16, which I purchased in 1981, was built there as well
as many of the larger models.

In the late 60s, the 70s and early 1980s, Bill Myatt (a retired general
contractor) operated a sailboat store in Raleigh, NC called "Skipper's Corner" and sold lots and lots of  Tanzer 16s and Flying Scots.  Tanzer Industries was a Canadian company and started with a plant in Quebec, but because of the
large amount of boats sold by Bill Myatt, a NC plant probably seemed a good idea.  I
think the Edenton plant was opened in the mid 70s.  Johann Tanzer, designer
and founder, and Eric Spenser, President of Tanzer Industries, operated out
of the Canadian plant on the St. Lawrence river.  The Edenton plant was
considered a satellite plant to serve the needs of the southeast, and to avoid US Customs issues.

The team from the Edenton factory attended and sponsored Tanzer 16 racing
events in the southeast back then.  At the socials after the racing, the
factory folks used to joke about how they would lay up a 425 pound Tanzer 16
with resin left over from building the bigger boats.  I got the idea that
the bigger boats made the bigger bucks, but the many little Tanzer 16s
provided steady work.

In the 80s, Tanzer Industries failed when the Royal Bank of Canada called
their notes.  The Tanzer 16 manufacturing equipment ended up in the hands of a receiver.  In the US, they probably just went bankrupt.  I suspect that is how Stan and GBI came to have that space in Edenton then.  Anyway, the Tanzer 16 Class Association, under the leadership of George Smart and myself, arranged to purchase all the molds, manufacturing rights and other Tanzer 16 manufacturing equipment items.

Frank Meldau, a Durham, NC boatbuilder, known for designing and manufacturing the world's fastest 16' catamaran ( the Isotope), agreed to drive to Canada, get the molds, and start building Tanzer 16s.  He built a few, then lost interest after a falling out with George Smart.  Since then a few other builders have tried.  The last boats were built in 1995 by McLoughlin Boat works, near Memphis.  Today the molds are back in Raleigh, waiting to attract the interest of a new boat builder.

Ashley, if you cannot find a good Rhodes 22 within your budget, a think a Tanzer 22 is a good second choice.  It may not be quite as comfortable as the Rhodes, but you will arrive at the gunkhole a little faster in a Tanzer 22.  The 2003 USSA Portsmouth tables show the T22 95.0 for the fin keel version and 96.3 for the keel/cb version, while the more luxurious R22 is rated 98.0 for std main.

Plus, there is a very active class association for the T22.  This class maintains a website http://www.tanzer22.com/ and is organized as a class under US Sailing.  These boats are cruised and actively raced as one-design.  These days Eric Spenser operates a parts supply business in Canada, with a US warehouse (to avoid customs problems).  He can get parts for all types of Tanzers.

Fair Winds,

PT

'84 Rhodes 22 "Phoenix"
'79 Tanzer 16 #1427
'66 Tanzer 16 #161

> As I recall, wasn't Stan's old Glider factory the site of a tanzer factory
> before Stan took over?  I guess stan could answer that better than I.
>
> Chris
> SV Passion
> Oregon

Tanzer..