[Rhodes22-list] Single vs Double Axle

pawyrick at peoplepc.com pawyrick at peoplepc.com
Sun May 7 21:41:09 EDT 2006

Rory,
I picked up my "beautiful" boat from Edenton at the end of March. I got a
new double axle trailer. The boat stays on the trailer unless I am sailing
it. In addition, I move the boat around a lot and will be going from
Jacksonville, FL to Bradenton, FL and then to Lake Allatoona (GA) within the
month. The boat trailers extremely well on the dual axle setup. However, I
would not invest the extra money in trailer if you do not intend to be
trailering alot. I've single-axled smaller power boats all over the country.
My intuition tells me that the dual axle will hold up better for my
purposes.  I have no experience to back that up. The single axle may hold up
just as well. By the time I find out, it will be too late to matter.
Concerning backing, I think the single axle will back slightly easier. In
tight turns, one of the tires on the double axles will actually scoot,
instead of roll, for a few inches at a time. That won't happen with a
single. I have no experience with painted trailers, just galvanized. Even
they will rust if you don't keep up with maintainance.
Good luck with your boat.
Phil from Jacksonville, FL