[Rhodes22-list] Mark more on Planes v Buildings

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Fri Oct 13 08:59:19 EDT 2006

Mark,

              This aircraft appears to have been a low wing general aviation
aircraft of much newer design than the one Brad is buying.  These aircraft
are usually good for the purpose intended.  Jim has been referencing the
technical data on the aircraft.  That is very pertinent.  Jim suggested that
the air speed was about 150 mph.  To me that speed seems a little high,
especially for flying in this air space.  I suspect that this plane does not
need that speed to remain airborne.  I am not going to the tech site for an
accurate number, but I suspect that this plane could remain airborne using
‘slow flight’ techniques in the 100 mph range.  That would make turning much
trickier, but I doubt that it would have increased the radius much.

	Did this plane have a variable speed prop.  In slow flight with a variable
speed prop you best have some recent practice in stalls and recovery.  In a
limited air space and at low flight levels that is tricky stuff best left to
those with current experience or professional stunt pilots.  That is why the
Yankees required the instructor pilot.  But did that instructor pilot have
current experience with that plane, and practice in recovery in that plane
in limited air space.

	That is the kind of stuff that Brad teaches his students on the flight
simulator.  That is, after the problem happens, correct practice in
recovery.  Problems happen, even mechanical, part of being an aircraft pilot
is anticipating problems and have a planned recovery, which often means
putting the aircraft down.  You just do not practice such stuff over the
East River in NYC.   That is what is called human error, or stupidity.  Any
mechanical problem should have had a thought out escape to at least the
water.

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA

quote author='L. Sailor'>