[Rhodes22-list] Grammar

L. Sailor watermusic38 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 28 12:42:17 EDT 2006

Joe,

  Here's another in the 'irregardless' category: 'prevenTAtive' as in 'preventative medicine'. No-o-o...the correct term is preventive....as in 'preventive medicine.'

  I also have to use you, Joe, as an example......just as you used a construction which is very commonly used & i would classify in the 'between you & I' category.....Please don't think I'm being critical...it is just a good example....

  You said 'unless they have a gun or are larger than us......That should be 'larger than WE...as your example is an elliptical sentence and what we are really saying is 'larger than we are large.....

  elle

Joseph Hadzima <josef508 at yahoo.com> wrote:
  Hi Phillip:

Once upon a time I did look up the "term", and the
dictionary I uesd claimed it to be a "humorous, redundent
form of regardless". So I guess we can laugh at people
that use it (uless
BTW, here is a link to a side story about the word.

http://www.hfac.uh.edu/English/classes/GU4322/items/irregardless.html

I fear that since somemany use it, it may one day be
considered correct; along with the most evil of all phrases
"very unique"!

joe/hadz