[Rhodes22-list] Reply to non sailing topics by Bob K, Mike W, L. Sailor, ...

DCLewis1 at aol.com DCLewis1 at aol.com
Sun Oct 29 11:18:41 EST 2006

Ed,

If I could respond to your post: “Laws should not be used to compel
acceptance of a belief contrary to ones religion. “

I think laws and religion are entirely different things.  Clearly our
Christian heritage and our legacy of English common law has played a role in the
development of our laws and legal system, but if you really get into it I think
a whole lot of our laws go back to the Romans, and even further back.  Laws
commonly define how we should interact in practical ways that work and  those
ways often contravene religious dictates.  Examples:
- There are  instances where children of parents of some Christian sects, I
think it’s the  Christian Scientists, were removed from their parents custody
because their  lives are at risk and the parents decided, for religious
reasons, to refuse  service.  Courts intervened, the children’s lives were saved,
life went  on.
- I understand the Rastfuteens (sp?), a religious sect principally out of
Jamaica, have really worked marijuana into their religious ceremonies.   That
doesn’t mean the use of marijuana is allowed in the US in the name of  religious
freedom, instead the law forbid it on other grounds.  (Note, this  example
should not be construed to mean I am for or against the use of  marijuana, it’s
simply an example to show that the law does not allow unfettered  use of any
behavior.)

So laws and religion are 2 different things, and there are instances where
law compels behavior (or non-behavior) regardless of religion.  Think of it
this way: who’s going to punish you?  With laws you are punished in the
here-and-now.  With religion there is a promise that you will be punished  in the
hereafter.  Each punishment system operates independently.

The above is about law and religion, lets consider beliefs.  The  statement
is “Laws should not be used to compel acceptance of a belief contrary  to ones
religion”.   Each of the 19 terrorists that participated in  9/11 “believed”
they were doing what their religion required.  You would  claim the law should
not stop them, that to stop them would be Stalinist?   I don’t think so, nor
do I really think you think so.

JMO

Dave