[Rhodes22-list] Reply to non sailing topics by Bob K, Mike W, L. Sailor, ...

DCLewis1 at aol.com DCLewis1 at aol.com
Sun Oct 29 11:49:13 EST 2006

Ed,

If I could respond to your post: “Laws should not be used to compel
acceptance of a belief contrary to ones religion. “

The issue is not to compel acceptance of belief, the issue is to compel (or
preclude) specific actions whose consequences are regarded by the larger
population as unacceptable.  In that regard laws and religious  beliefs are
entirely different things.  Laws are focused on actions  and interactions, religious
beliefs are beliefs.  You can believe  anything you want, just don't act on
it.  Examples:
- There are  instances where children of parents of some Christian sects, I
think it’s the  Christian Scientists, were removed from their parents custody
by a  court because their lives are at risk and the parents decided, for
religious reasons, to refuse service.  The parents "believed", the  courts forbade
the action (refusal of service), the children's lives were  saved.
- I understand the Rastfuteens (sp?), a religious sect principally out  of
Jamaica, have really worked marijuana into their religious ceremonies.   That
doesn’t mean the use of marijuana is allowed in the US in the name of  religious
freedom, instead the law forbids it on other grounds.  The  Rasfuteens
believe, the courts forbid it, it doesn't happen. (Note, this example  should not be
construed to mean I am for or against the use of marijuana, it’s  simply an
example to show that the law does not allow unfettered use of any  behavior
just because "you really believe in it".)
- Finally the most egregious example of all: Each of the 19 terrorists that
participated in 9/11 “believed” they were doing what their religion
required.  You would claim the law should not stop them?  That to stop  them would be
Stalinist?  I don’t think so, nor do I really think you think  so.

So laws and religion are 2 different things, and law commonly trumps
religion and religion based belief.

Think of it this way: who’s going to punish you?  With laws you are  punished
in the here-and-now.  With religion there is a promise that you  will be
punished in the hereafter.  Each punishment system operates  independently.

JMO

Dave