[Rhodes22-list] Obama's Magic

Herb Parsons hparsons at parsonsys.com
Fri Oct 10 16:36:14 EDT 2008

Michael,

Your last paragraph sums up my attitude almost to a T.

I have a story about a friend that I'll share some time. It's a great
story about how an individual can make a change, that the government not
only can't, but would squash if given the opportunity.

MichaelT wrote:
> [...]
>
> Michael
> s/c Silversides
>

> Brad Haslett-2 wrote:
>
>> Michael,
>>
>> Thank you, thank you, thank you! Now on to the lions, and tigers, and
>> bears.  And last but not least, the Flying Pandas.
>>
>> I had a long conversation with my mother last night about her health
>> issues among other things.  Her doctor is recommending that she have
>> "minor" surgery for some back issues and she explained that there is
>> nothing "minor" about doing surgery on an 83 year old woman.  "But,
>> Mrs. Haslett, Medicare will pay for it".  Mom built bombs in a defense
>> plant during WW2 in Springfield, Illinois and is no dummy.  "No, my
>> kids will pay for it and what difference does that make?"
>>
>> Everyone loves de-regulation if it means flying to Grandma's house
>> coast to coast for $129 but against it if they have to take some
>> personal risk.  If we're going to re-regulate the economy, I say we
>> start with the airlines first and go back to the days when pilots were
>> gods and flight attendants could fit down the isle.
>>
>> Sarah Palin is the only politician in this race with the balls (fill
>> in the blank here _____ with the more appropriate description) to say
>> it is your responsibility to live within your means.
>>
>>  "A chicken in every pot".  Deja Vu all over again!
>>
>> Brad
>>
>> On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 10:39 AM, MichaelT <mticse at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> While we're at it...I thought I'd add to the mix from today's WSJ coped
>>> below
>>>
>>> Michael
>>> s/v Silversides
>>>
>>> Obama's Magic
>>> By Kimberley Strassel
>>>
>>> And now, America, we introduce the Great Obama! The world's most gifted
>>> political magician! A thing of wonder. A thing of awe. Just watch him
>>> defy
>>> politics, economics, even gravity! (And hold your applause until the end,
>>> please.)
>>>
>>> To kick off our show tonight, Mr. Obama will give 95% of American working
>>> families a tax cut, even though 40% of Americans today don't pay income
>>> taxes! How can our star enact such mathemagic? How can he "cut" zero?
>>> Abracadabra! It's called a "refundable tax credit." It involves the
>>> federal
>>> government taking money from those who do pay taxes, and writing checks
>>> those who don't. Yes, yes, in the real world this is known as "welfare,"
>>> but
>>> please try not to ruin the show.
>>>
>>> For his next trick, the Great Obama will jumpstart the economy, and he'll
>>> do
>>> it by raising taxes on the very businesses that are today adrift in a
>>> financial tsunami! That will include all those among the top 1% of
>>> taxpayers
>>> who are in fact small-business owners, and the nation's biggest employers
>>> who currently pay some of the highest corporate tax rates in the
>>> world. Mr. Obama will, with a flick of his fingers, show them how to