[Rhodes22-list] Public Service Announcement - Alcohol usage (humor)

Herb Parsons hparsons at parsonsys.com
Fri Oct 10 16:50:27 EDT 2008

Well you shouldn't have said you liked it. That's almost as good as
"permission" for another.

When my oldest was preparing for her first ever date (which means the
first ever date in our household, other than the adults of course) she
was trying hard to be ready before he got there so he wouldn't "get" to
spend much time with me in the living room, with the mantle full of
daughter photos surrounded by karate trophies (all won as an adult), and
the always "good for a conversation" broken cement block, that I broke
with my hand.

She didn't make it, we had a good five minutes together.

After a little bit of conversation (things like "did it hurt your hand"
- and "no, but it hurt the brick"), there was a lull. I jumped at the
opportunity.

"I'd like to ask you something" I said. "My wife and my four daughters
are the most precious things God has entrusted to me in my life. Tell me
what there is about you, that I should trust one of them to you, for
even a couple of hours."

He stuttered for a few seconds, and I said "It's a rhetorical question,
you don't need to answer. But, you do need to keep in mind every moment
you have my daughter with you tonight."

My oldest, who made it the room just in time for that, was duly
humiliated of course. My wife cried because she was so proud. My other
three (who were listening and giggling in the kitchen) were torn between
being proud and being the most precious things God had entrusted to me,
and being scared to death of being humiliated in turn when their times
came around (they were).

It was quite a successful evening, all in all.

That guy's not around either, nor is HE on the bottom of a lake
somewhere - but her current husband recently came to work for the
company I run, so I guess she got over the humiliation.