[Rhodes22-list] Another of Gov. Palin's "Real Americans"

Ben Cittadino bcittadino at dcs-law.com
Thu Oct 23 14:28:35 EDT 2008

The following came over the AP Wire today.  I think the Dowd column and Gen.
Powell were thinking of people like this when they criticized the tactics of
the GOP this time around. Just my opinion. I could be wrong.

"SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. - The president of a San Bernardino County
Republican club resigned after apologizing for distributing a newsletter
with a caricature of Barack Obama on a fake food stamp surrounded by ribs,
watermelon and fried chicken.

In a letter sent Wednesday to members of the Chaffey Community Republican
Women, Federated, Diane Fedele said she was sorry for showing "poor judgment
and lack of insight and sensitivity."

Officials with the state Republican Party have said the GOP club is not
directly responsible to the state party.

In the October newsletter sent to about 200 members and associates, Fedele
included an image she pulled from an e-mail making the rounds of the
Internet.

The illustration showed a $10 "Obama Bucks" food stamp with the Democratic
presidential candidate's head on a donkey, surrounded by the foods linked to
negative stereotypes of blacks.

Black members of the club as well as GOP lawmakers and state and national
party leaders condemned the newsletter as offensive and racist.

Fedele denied racist intent but in her letter defended the message: "The
point, that has been lost in the subsequent discussion over images, was that
Obama will 'take from the rich and give to the poor' and that we ALL would
be buying food with his 'Obama Welfare Dollars.' An ideological statement,
not a racial one."

The Riverside Press-Enterprise said the cartoon was created by Tim
Kastelein, a 31-year-old Minnesota Democrat who said he made it in a
satirical attempt to make fun of right-wing pundits afraid of a Democratic
presidential candidate."

Ben C.