[Rhodes22-list] Actual sailing question...'guy' stuff; actually, need a 'How'

elle watermusic38 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 23 16:21:14 EDT 2008

It's time to winterize the engine...Tohatsu 9.8. I will be doing this alone,, and the engine is on the boat.

I have questions about 1) order of operations, and 2) accomplishing one of these parts.

Of necessity the boat will have to stay at the dock.

Please bear with me as I am still new at this 'guy stuff.' I am using the manual...looks easy if the engine is on a stand in the yard w/ the prop in a barrel....

I have to :

1. Change engine oil (on top) along with checking filters, etc. This is the difficult part as the manual says to tilt the engine forward & then to the right. I have the engine lift, so that can;'t happen.

Is there a sort of 'turkey baster' device...small hand pump w./tubing  I can put into the oil fill & then suck it slowly out?

I will be doing this from the transom of the boat...i know I have to run the engine to warm the oil. I will burn myself..that is a given.

2. Change  lower unit oil

I will have to do this from the kayak as I cannot reach the lower unit from the boat w/o hanging upside down by my ankles.
I plan to have the screwdriver to remove the screws (& I have bought 2 extra so that I don't lose any) . I plan to let the oil drain into a small bucket that I hang from the prop. I have oil in a botttle w/a nozzle & it looks easy enuf to do as the manual suggests.

3. Run gas (with Stabil) thru the carb until it runs dry....I'll disconnect the fuel hose from the tank & let the engine run.

Here are questions:

1.My observation & also reading the diagrams makes me think the water that the engine takes in & discharges just comes in & goes right out. So do I need antifreeze? If so, I can put use the pink  stuff (not ethylene glycol auto stuff)  in a bucket & use a hose & the earmuffs from the transom...after connecting the hose from the kayak. I don;t think it will take but a few cups...as there is no reservoir, correct?
This will have to be done from the kayak, unless I let the antifreeze just go into the creek. Is that OK? My instincts tell me it is...but?

2. My instincts also tell me that it is good to drain all the oil first, then let the new, clean oil bathe the parts for the winter. But then I have to run the engine to do the other stuff. OK

3. Manual says to spray 'storage oil' into the combustion chamber...what is a product name for this?

What order should I do this in?

Any  anything where I have gone wrong? This should not take long but it will take me all most of the day with all the back & forth from kayak to boat & thento garage to get some tool that I first have to figure out that I need and then find ..

these are the times I kick walls.

Can anyone offer suggestions as to tools, procedure, order of operation, from your experience?

many thanks.

elle