[Rhodes22-list] Actual sailing question...'guy' stuff; actually, need a 'How'

Bob Weber ruba1811 at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 23 16:52:29 EDT 2008

Elle, can you back the boat up to the dock using the motor or lines / line handlers.  This would save you the kayak routine?  BW> Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 13:21:14 -0700> From: watermusic38 at yahoo.com> To: rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org> Subject: [Rhodes22-list] Actual sailing question...'guy' stuff; actually, need a 'How'> > It's time to winterize the engine...Tohatsu 9.8. I will be doing this alone,, and the engine is on the boat.> > I have questions about 1) order of operations, and 2) accomplishing one of these parts.> > Of necessity the boat will have to stay at the dock. > > Please bear with me as I am still new at this 'guy stuff.' I am using the manual...looks easy if the engine is on a stand in the yard w/ the prop in a barrel....> > I have to :> > 1. Change engine oil (on top) along with checking filters, etc. This is the difficult part as the manual says to tilt the engine forward & then to the right. I have the engine lift, so that can;'t happen.> > Is there a sort of 'turkey baster' device...small hand pump w./tubing I can put into the oil fill & then suck it slowly out?> > I will be doing this from the transom of the boat...i know I have to run the engine to warm the oil. I will burn myself..that is a given.> > 2. Change lower unit oil> > I will have to do this from the kayak as I cannot reach the lower unit from the boat w/o hanging upside down by my ankles. > I plan to have the screwdriver to remove the screws (& I have bought 2 extra so that I don't lose any) . I plan to let the oil drain into a small bucket that I hang from the prop. I have oil in a botttle w/a nozzle & it looks easy enuf to do as the manual suggests.> > 3. Run gas (with Stabil) thru the carb until it runs dry....I'll disconnect the fuel hose from the tank & let the engine run.> > Here are questions:> > 1.My observation & also reading the diagrams makes me think the water that the engine takes in & discharges just comes in & goes right out. So do I need antifreeze? If so, I can put use the pink stuff (not ethylene glycol auto stuff) in a bucket & use a hose & the earmuffs from the transom...after connecting the hose from the kayak. I don;t think it will take but a few cups...as there is no reservoir, correct?> This will have to be done from the kayak, unless I let the antifreeze just go into the creek. Is that OK? My instincts tell me it is...but?> > 2. My instincts also tell me that it is good to drain all the oil first, then let the new, clean oil bathe the parts for the winter. But then I have to run the engine to do the other stuff. OK> > 3. Manual says to spray 'storage oil' into the combustion chamber...what is a product name for this? > > What order should I do this in?> > Any anything where I have gone wrong? This should not take long but it will take me all most of the day with all the back & forth from kayak to boat & thento garage to get some tool that I first have to figure out that I need and then find ..> > these are the times I kick walls.> > Can anyone offer suggestions as to tools, procedure, order of operation, from your experience?> > many thanks.> > elle> > > > > > > > > > > > > > We can't change the angle of the wind....but we can adjust our sails.> > 1992 Rhodes 22 Recyc '06 "WaterMusic" (Lady in Red)> > > > __________________________________________________> To subscribe/unsubscribe or for help with using the mailing list go to http://www.rhodes22.org/list> __________________________________________________