[Rhodes22-list] STAN can you skull a Rhodes 22 with a Wheel Boat??? Elle needs to know...

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Thu Oct 23 22:14:26 EDT 2008

Elle,

Moving a Rhodes 22 a couple of hundred feet without a motor should not be
impossible.  Just get rid of the wheel and put on a tiller, then you can
skull.  Now, the question is can you skull with a Rhodes 22 Wheel boat?
Have you ever tried to skull using your wheel?  How freely does you wheel
move?

If for no other reason than to know the result of the above question, you
should experiment and see if it can be done.  If the answer is yes, then
that is how you move the boat from the other location back to its dock.

My opinion is that I could do it, so the question is can you?

This is an important piece of information to know.  It has safety
considerations.  It is a way to move the boat if the motor fails in a
critical situation.  Remember to raise the kick up part of the rudder up to
about 45 degrees for best skulling effect.  You turn on momentum and holding
the rudder into the turn.

I used to routinely shut off my motor skull my boat Rhodes to the dock.  And
I can do it with my other boat, but it also has a tiller.  Skulling the last
20 yards to the dock makes a softer landing.  You can skull a Rhodes into a
3-5 mph breeze without issue.

If you cannot skull with a wheel, you need to install oar locks.  See:
 http://www.shawandtenney.com/specialty-oars.htm

Get out there at 6 a. m. and try it.  Let us all know the results.

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA
http://www.nabble.com/file/p20143111/Bull%2Bwinkle.gif Bull+winkle.gif

http://www.nabble.com/file/p20143111/Bull%2Bwinkle.gif Bull+winkle.gif