[Rhodes22-list] Shoddy credit card security

ben benonvelvetelvis at theskinnyonbenny.com
Thu Oct 23 22:28:25 EDT 2008

That lack of credit card security is shockingly lax.  Perhaps it's a sign of
Obama being crooked, but if so, he's not one that covers his trail very
well.  It could just as easily be shoddy web development.  You have to
assign some fault to visa and mastercard for approving those transactions.

I'm interested to hear your bank's reaction when you explain that this
wasn't your charge and that you want your money back.

Point of full disclosure -- I worked most of my adult life planning,
designing, and implementing software for banks.  I've seen every kind of
shoddiness you can imagine (if that's a word).

One of my favorites was this:  a bug in our application processing system
caused a regional bank in the Southeast to mail over 600 copies of a decline
letter to one single borrower.  It was a shop where people stuffed the
envelopes, so you would think that someone would have noticed, but they
don't pay the envelope stuffers enough to get thinking employees, I guess.
Needless to say, the guy was pretty bitter.

I've got more, but I really need to do some actual work tonight.  Planning
to goof off all day tomorrow.

Ben S.
Baton Rouge, LA
Crooked Politician Capital of the World