[Rhodes22-list] Political reply to Ben C - you are kidding?

Herb Parsons hparsons at parsonsys.com
Sat Oct 25 17:47:24 EDT 2008

The reason I didn't answer all of your points was that I was using your
information to contrast with Ben's. In addition, you and I agreed (as
you said), that being a Rhodes scholar has nothing to do with being a
good president.

However, since you seem bothered that I didn't address your other
issues, I'll be happy to go down the list.

My "silly" point was to illustrate the silly hyperbole one sees here
(and other places). I suppose I could take a purely academic viewpoint,
and talk about the fact that he was presenting a deductive argument that
while totally valid as an argument, is incorrect in its conclusion
because the premises on which the argument is based are incorrect
premises; however, what would be the point?? Ben is of the Thinker and
Debater class, I and of the mere Just Believe class. Thus, I will always
be relegated (in Ben's tiny little mind) to being wrong, and no matter
how many incorrect premises they use as a foundation (and there ARE many.)

Instead, I pick off the easy targets, the silly ones. Those mistakes in
claims by Ben the Thinker and Debater that are so obviously wrong that
to point them out would be ... well yeah ... silly.

But then, this is the silly season.

OK, you're questions.

I can't think of a more prestigious academic honor than the the Rhodes
scholarship. There may be some, but I've not spent much time thinking
about it, and none come to mind to me. I don't spend much time thinking
about because of the same conclusion we've both reached, I don't think
it's valid to the discussion of who should be a POTUS or VPOUTS. As a
matter of fact, I would say that President Clinton proved just how
useless that honor is in the execution of the duties of the office.

You and I agree that the scholarship is not for raising kids, I don't
think that was Ed's point. When Ed said

"A young lady who finds a husband and has several children and imparts
into those children important societal values to me is a higher
achievement than your Rhodes Scholar."

I think his point was that things like raising four children could be
more important for a leader than being a Rhodes Scholar.

I agree with him.

Did I hit all the points completely enough, or did I miss something?