[Rhodes22-list] New Joint of Deck and Hull from originator

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Fri Feb 6 09:04:16 EST 2015

Chuy,

I'm jumping back into this discussion one last time. I'm not a marine
engineer, but have built/rebuilt many boats over the past fifty years. Unless
you are building a hull out of steel or concrete, they are going to flex. I
would guess that even steel or concrete can flex under certain
circumstances.  The hull to deck joint of the R22 flexes because of the many  varied
forces  applied to it by the mast, rigging and wave action. Epoxy or fiber
glassing the  joint will remove the ability of the joint to flex. In fact, I
would be willing  to bet that over a very short period of time you will find
that it will crack  and pulverize due to the previously mentioned forces
working against it. It  would be a monumental chore to separate the joint enough
to thoroughly clean it  AND remove the gel coat for best adhesion. As I have
previously stated, it does  not bond well with gel coat. The process to
fiberglass the joint would be  incredibly labor intensive and in my opinion a
waste of time and resources. Why  would you want to do this when a very simple
and time tested solution has  already been put forth on the list. The
problems older hulls are experiencing  with the joint are due to improper use of
materials during original  construction. In short, adhesives/caulking have
come a long way in forty some  years. The one part polyethylene products have
a life expectancy of fifteen  years with direct exposure to UV rays from
the sun. I wonder how long they will  last in a covered joint application.
Good luck with whatever you do, but remember, removing and repairing a
failed fiber glassed joint might be more than anyone would want to undertake,
even Mr. Casey.

Rummy

In a message dated 2/6/2015 1:14:39 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,