[Rhodes22-list] Question about mast orientation and pointing

ROGER PIHLAJA roger_pihlaja at msn.com
Mon Aug 21 04:43:34 EDT 2023

Hi Bob,

The easiest way to check mast vertical plumb is with a halyard or topping lift from the masthead.  Pull the line tight on starboard side, mark it, and then do the same on port side.  If the two lines lengths are the same; then the mast is vertically plum port/starboard.

It’s more likely your new aft lower shroud has pulled the mast out of column.  Actually, all 4 lower shrouds interact, so what I mean is the tension on the new shroud is not the same as the old shroud.  To check this, run the halyard down the aft side of the mast.  Pull the line taut and then sight up the line.  The gap between the line and the mast should be even all the way up and down.  If not; then, your mast has been bent out of column.  This is very bad for your IMF mainsail.  To fix this condition, loosen all the turnbuckles on the lower sidestays.  With the lower sidestays loose, check if the mast is in column.  If not, you have a bent mast, which is much harder to fix.  If it’s bent more than an inch out of column, replace the mast.  Tighten the lower sidestays evenly until they are taut and the mast is not bent out of column.  I like to use a Loo’s Rig Tension Gage for this adjustment.  If your mast was slightly bent, you may be able to tune the small bend out with aft lower shroud tension.  This adjustment is a bit artsy crafty, so have patience.  Fortunately, the Rhodes 22 hull and rig are so stout; that, once you get it adjusted, it should hold.  Now go sailing and see if your port and starboard tacking angles aren’t equal.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium