[Rhodes22-list] Trailer trouble

Jeff Smith Photo jeffsmithphoto at gmail.com
Sat Jul 22 06:28:18 EDT 2023

It's good that you your car and the boat suffered no damage.
I am planning a 1600 mile round trip to the north Channel of Lake Huron
starting today. When I took the trailer in for servicing they told me that
the surge drum brakes were totally shot. I'm sure they were not working
when I traveled the boat to Maine and to the Chesapeake.
$3,000 later I had a new set of disc brakes. But the shop told me that when
I disconnected the hydraulic line in order to use the 10-ft extended
tongue, I could be introducing air into the system which would make the
brakes inoperable. Not wanting to take a chance for the long trip I had the
yard pulled the boat with straps on the Travel lift and put it on the
trailer. This both allowed a good pressure wash bottom cleaning and got the
boat far forward on the trailer to increase tongue weight. I will do the
same launching and retrieving at Little Current Ontario. Pricey, but safety
first.

Best Regards
Jeff Smith
www.http://JeffSmithPhoto.Net