[Rhodes22-list] Engine lift winch

Mark Whipple mark at whipplefamily.com
Sun Jun 11 10:23:14 EDT 2023

My R22 came with a Saildrive, which I've removed. More about that in
another post.

I'm now in the process of installing the General Boats motor lift. I bought
it from Stan by driving down to North Carolina a while back. I was
originally leaning towards putting in the electric motor lift so I recently
did a lot of research in the email archives. Many boats had a Chicago
Electric lift from Harbor Freight. They no longer offer that brand,
but the Badlands
2500lb winch
<https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive/winches/electric-winches/2500-lb-atvutility-winch-with-wire-rope-and-wireless-remote-control-56258.html>
seems to be the replacement. That winch sells for $85 and has both wired
and wireless controls. Some owners also mentioned the Warn 2000lb winch
from Northern Tool
<https://www.northerntool.com/products/warn-12-volt-dc-powered-electric-utility-winch-2000-lb-capacity-galvanized-steel-rope-model-92000-44190>
(Warn is not one of their house brands). That one sells for $150 and
appears to only have a wired remote.

After all that research (and sore muscles from sanding and painting the
lazarette) I'm now inclined to install the manual lift instead. *One
question for the group regarding the manual lift:* it seems like it's
important that the blocks are lined up on the center of the lift as much as
possible. Can someone tell me how to do so - and perhaps post some
pictures? I've seen pictures of manual lift arrangements but I'm not sure
just what I'm looking at regarding the arrangement of the blocks.

Thanks,
Mark

Boston, MA

2000 R22 *Luna Mia*